Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Good Light Compared to Evil Darkness


Why is humanity afraid of the night? It is because they associate night with evil and the light with God. For example, it is strange that when people are really ill and are losing awareness around them. They comment that after being in comma, or after they confront death, that they saw a bright light, which they associate with God. When my sister gave birth, she was unconscious, she almost loss her life and when she woke up she said, “I saw a bright light. I thought I was dying, and I was ready to leave my body.” My grandpa, when he died, screamed and said, “I’m leaving!” After that, he died. My other grandpa did the same but he was hallucinating and telling my mom, “I am seeing a bright light, I think it is my mother and she is coming for me,” then he died. I once had a dream and I remember seeing a bright light that was telling me “I am the son of my father, and nobody came to the father if is not for me.”

 It is obvious that we associate the light with God, and when people see light they see goodness in their life. For example, in the bible there is a scripture that says “Send out the light and the truth . . . May they bring me to your holy mountain and to your grand tabernacle,” (Psalm 43:3). God had given us spiritual light, to be close to him, which people confuse and try to be close to God by inventing artificial light. The book of Genesis also mentions “God proceeded to make the two great luminaries, the greater for dominating the day and the lesser luminary for dominating the night, and also the stars,” (Gen 1:16). In this scripture the bible presents information where the great luminaries dominate the day and the less luminary dominate the night, whereas the humans want to dominate the night with artificial lights. On the other hand, the night represents the darkness, which people are afraid of because they cannot see as clearly as in the day. Darkness is a place without light, where society confronts the reality of crimes.

 Since humanity is afraid of the darkness and does not want to be controlled by the night, they created artificial light to control the night to feel safe. In the film The City Dark, director Ian Cheney says, “There is a controversy over whether more light leads to less crime, but there is agreement that light seems to make people feel safer, almost like it’s built in our genes to move closer to the campfire or to the brightest light.” What Ian Cheney is saying is that light is built into our genes. A scripture in the bible explains, “But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established. The way of the wicked ones is like gloom; they have not known at what keep stumbling” (Prov. 4:18-19). This scripture associates light with God’s people, which means people respect nature and have good principals whereas the darkness is compared with evil people, that is why a lot of crimes happen during night.

Society wants a civilization with light, which signifies a life that represents fearlessness, without crimes, and close to God. Society pretends to create an artificial God with the light, a God, who can control the night, and finish with the darkness and the fears humans have towards the night with artificial lights. Humans are comparing themselves with the creator of the world and pretending to change the night into day. Humanity pretends to control the night with the light but instead the light is controlling humanity, because of the light at night, humans are getting sick and are losing a lot of benefits that the night provides, which are sleeping and resting, and of course, losing the night sky that connects people to the ancestors and the creator, which is Jehovah God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment