Monday, January 21, 2013

My Childhood Memories in the Farm


My father was a farmer and he used to have a lot of animals, like chickens, cows, and horses. I remember that at the age of 3 I learned how to ride a horse and I helped my father feed the animals. One day, a cow got sick and died. She left her baby calf an orphan so I helped my father feed the calf with a bottle.

When I was 5 years old, I remember my first day in kindergarten where all of the children were crying for their parents. Everywhere I turned, a child was crying and I couldn’t stay in class. While the teacher was trying to calm down the kids, I snuck out of the classroom, jumped the fence, and went home. When my mom saw me she asked me, “What is going on and aren’t you supposed to be at school?” I answered, “Mom, I’m scared. All the kids are crying. Are they in danger or what?”

When I was 9 years old, I liked running and climbing trees with my older brothers and I remember we just loved to play along the river close to nature. Of course sometimes we had to help our father take care of the cows so they would not be too far. I liked to help my father with chores, it was fun. I remember that I was close with my brothers all the time playing having fun and going to school.

I rarely talked to my parents, they were always busy and I was living in my own little world full of nature and discovery. When I was 10 years old and my brother was 7 years old, we were wandering by the river. We climbed a tree and saw a big black snake that was at a stake close to the river. We started to throw rocks from the top of the tree, we made the snake fall into the river then we left. It was fun.

I remember my brother and I were riding the same horse and we made the horse run too fast. The horse fell on his knees for a second and then he stood up again. The feeling of almost falling off the horse was scary.

One day it was raining so hard that when we come back home, the ditches become little ponds. I remember I was 10 years old, I saw a black snake swimming close to the horse I was riding. I told my older brother, who was 13 years old at the time, that the snake was going to climb over my horse and I started crying. My brother started laughing at me, he told me to keep going, and not to worry because it could not climb the horse because it is not a tree.


When my brother was 7 years old and I was 10 years old, we liked to drink the milk fresh from the cow. We learned how to milk the cow; we just waited for our father to put the cows in the fence. We liked one cow in particular that we named Lolita because she was a nice cow, she did not kick us and let us extract the milk with our hands. At first it was hard, but we learned that we have to squish and pull in order to extract the milk. When my brother and I drank the milk, it was warm and we started laughing when the fat of the milk covered our lips like we had some kind of white mustache.

My family is big; we are four girls and three boys; two brothers and a sister are older than me and one brother and two sisters are younger than me. I decided to talk about the happiest moments of my life. I had many adventures when I was a child and most of the memories I have, I remember being closer to my brothers, riding horses and playing with them. My sisters were not as adventurous as me and my brothers; they would rather stay at home because they were afraid of the animals, even the horses and the cows.



1 comment:

  1. Your blog entry is impressively developed, and I love your use of photos. Impressive work.

    ReplyDelete